Dahi Tamater ka Gosht Recipe, Mutton made with Curd & Tomatoes
Dahi Tamater ka Gosht Recipe
I admit that we really are a red meat loving family. If we do not get a good helping of red meat at least twice in a week, we have severe withdrawal symptoms. Our Punjabi style home made mutton curries are usually thin and can be eaten with equal relish with either roti or rice. I today bring to you my Dahi Tamater ka Gosht Recipe which is cooked regularly in our home.
Dahi Tamater ka Gosht recipe involves lamb or mutton cooked with tomatoes & curds. This lamb curry is delicately spiced and very fragrant. It is best done when slow cooked, however, due to paucity of time I have resorted to the use of pressure cooking toward the end of the recipe. At the end of it the succulent rich curry with melt in the mouth mutton is just what you need to wrap up a long hard day at work.
Here you go with my Dahi Tamater ka Gosht recipe. Hope you enjoy making it and relish eating it with your family 🙂
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1.5 hours
- Cooking Gizmos: Pressure Cooker
- Serves: 3
What you need for Dahi Tamater ka Gosht Recipe?
|Mutton||Fresh from the leg or shoulder||500 gms|
|Onions||Puree’d||3 medium sized|
|Tomatoes||Puree’d||3 medium sized|
|Vegetable Oil||I use Rice Bran oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Ginger Garlic Paste||Fresh works best||3 Tablespoons|
|Black Cardamom||1 No.|
|Bay Leaf||1 No.|
|Red Chilli Powder||1.5 Teaspoons|
|Coriander Powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Black Pepper Powder||0.5 Tablespoons|
|Curds||Home made works very well||1 Small Bowl or Two Ladles|
|Garam Masala||Home made works very well||0.5 Tablespoon|
Method for Dahi Tamater ka Gosht Recipe
- Heat oil and crackle whole spices i.e. black cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf & cloves in a pressure cooker. Season the oil with these till it gets aromatic.
- Add and fry onion puree for around 9 minutes or till the onions leave oil.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 5 minutes or till their raw smell goes away.
- Add tomato puree, half of the curds & a paste made with powdered masalas (red chilli, turmeric, coriander and black pepper powder & a little water) and fry till the masala is ready and oil separates from it.
- Add the mutton and fry with this masala for about 12-15 minutes turning every two minutes or so. Add the salt here to seal the juices of mutton within.
- Add a cup of water to remaining half of the curds and add to the cooking mutton. Cover the pressure cooker with the lid and wait for 4 whistles. This should take about 10 minutes or so.
- Once the pressure releases by itself, add 0.5 cups of warm water, garam masala and ghee. Put the lid back on and give it another two whistles.
- Remove from fire and let the pressure release by itself.
- Serve Dahi Tamater ka Gosht hot with aromatic basmati rice or freshly made rotis.