Dahi Wale Chatpate Aloo or Potatoes in Tangy Curd Gravy Recipe
Dahi wale chatpate aloo or potatoes in tangy curd based gravy are my all time favorite. And, they can be had for a major meal or even snacked upon. Furthermore, the recipe is fairly simple to make and is quite nutritious. During the season of navratri they make an ideal food for fasting Indians.
The love for potatoes is in the blood of Indians. Potatoes are a singular “foreign invasion” that has successfully ruled India since early 17th century when potatoes or ‘batata‘ were introduced in India by the Portuguese.
Now, coming back to the recipe. Lets go on to make dahi wale chatpate aloo or potatoes in tangy curd based gravy. When one is short on thoughts about what to make, this recipe always works.
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Gizmos: Flat heavy bottomed pan
- Servings: 4
Stuff you need for dahi wale chatpate aloo or potatoes in tangy curd based gravy recipe
0.5 Teaspoon 0.5 Teaspoon 0.5 Tablespoon
|what goes in?||what kinds?||how much?|
|Aloo (Potatoes)||Boiled||4 Large or dozen small ones|
|Canola Oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Hing (Asafoetida)||0.5 Teaspoon|
|Jeera (Cumin Seeds)||1 Tablespoon|
|Khadi Lal Mirch (Whole Red Chillies)||Dry||4 No.|
|Dhaniya (Coriander Powder)||1 Tablespoon|
|Adrak (Ginger)||Fresh and grated||1 inch|
|Tamatar (Tomatoes)||Fresh and Grated/ Pureed||3 Medium Sized|
|Haldi (Turmeric Powder)|
|Lar Mirch (Red Chilli Powder)|
|Amchur (Dry Mango Powder)|
|Nimboo Ras (Lemon Juice)||1 Tablespoon|
|Dahi (Curd or Yogurt)||1 Cup|
|Namak (Salt)||To taste|
Process to make dahi wale chatpate aloo or potatoes in tangy curd based gravy
- Take a clean thick bottomed pan and heat canola oil.
- Add all khadi lal mirch (dry red chilies), jeera (cumin seeds) and hing (asafoetida).
- Once they crackle add grated adrak (ginger) and fry for a few seconds.
- Add pureed tamatar (tomatoes) and cook till oil leaves the masala.
- Break boiled aloo (potatoes) with your hands and add to the masala.
- Add amchur (dry mango powder), lal mirch (red chilli powder), nimboo ras (lemon juice) and salt and mix well.
- Add beaten dahi (curd or yogurt) to the masala and mix well. This will add water to the mix. If you want a drier version simmer uncovered.
- Leave covered on simmer for 10 minutes so that all ingredients are well integrated.
- Your dahi wale chatpate aloo or potatoes in tangy curd based gravy are ready.
- Serve with roti, paratha or even rice.
Potatoes are highly nutritious, easily digestible, wholesome food containing carbohydrates, proteins, minerals, vitamins and high quality dietary fibre. Potatoes provides more nutrition than cereals and vegetables.
In India it will be difficult to find a home where potatoes are not transformed into sweet-smelling and delicious fries, mash or curry. Politically, price rise of potatoes has the potential to topple governments.