Matka Murgh Dahiwala Recipe, Clay Pot Chicken in Yogurt
Matka Murgh Dahiwala Recipe, Claypot Chicken in Curd Gravy Recipe
Matka Murgh Dahiwala or Claypot Chicken in Curd Gravy is yet another example of my tryst with “Matka” or “Claypot” cooking. Matka murgh dahiwala is a fragrant and delectable chicken curry dish that uses dahi or yogurt as a souring agent. The base gravy comprises of whole & powdered spices and sauteed onions. However, the real magic to matka murgh dahiwala or claypot chicken in curd gravy is imparted by the slow cooking in this evergreen earthen matka or claypot.
Matka or Clay pots have been used for cooking through the Indian subcontinent for times immemorial. Earthen tandoors are used even today. Though matkas for cooking did take a backseat with the newer gizmos taking over. The trend seems to be reversing now. Matka or clay pot can be used for storing water, heating milk and cooking of course.
Matka murgh dahiwala is relatively simple to make with most ingredients easily available at home. You may have to go out shopping for the chicken though.
Indicatives for making Matka Murgh Dahiwala Recipe; Claypot Chicken in Curd Gravy
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 1.5 Hours
- Cooking Gizmos: Round clay pot with a lid or “Matka”
- Servings: 4-5
Stuff you need for Matka Murgh Dahiwala Recipe; Claypot Chicken in Curd Gravy;
मटका मुर्ग़ दहीवाला बनाने के लिए सामग्री नीचे दी गयी है|
|what goes in?||what kinds?||how much?|
|घी (Clarified Butter)||Half of 1/3rd Cup|
|चावल की भूसी का तेल (Rice Bran Oil)||Half of 1/3rd Cup|
|हरी एलैचि (Cardamom)||6 No.|
|दाल चीनी (Cinnamon)||3 Inches|
|खड़ी काली मिर्च (Black Peppercorns)||1/2 Tablespoon|
|लौंग (Cloves)||6 No.|
|जावित्री (Mace)||2 No.|
|धनिये के बीज (Coriander Seeds)||2 No.|
|तेज पत्ता (Bay Leaves)||2 No.|
|प्याज़ (Onions)||Pulsed||3 Nos. – Medium|
|अदरख लहसुन (Ginger Garlic)||Paste||2 Tablespoons|
|मुर्ग़ (Chicken)||On the bone||1.2 Kg|
|धनिया (Coriander)||Powder||1 Tablespoon|
|लाल मिर्च (Red Chili)||Kashmiri; Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|हल्दी (Turmeric)||Powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|नामक (Salt)||1/4th Tablespoon (correct to taste)|
|दही (Curd or Yoghurt)||Homemade & well beaten||400 grams|
Process to make Matka Murgh Dahiwala, Claypot Chicken in Curd Gravy
- Take a clay pot with a lid and clean it properly. If you have an unseasoned matka or a clay pot, read my earlier post on Matka Gosht on tips to season it.
- Heat the ghee and rice bran oil combo on high flame and add all dry masalas including, cardamom, cinnamon, black peppercorns, cloves, coriander seeds, mace and bay leaves.
- Once they are fragrant & crackle add the onions and fry till light brown. Add onions and brown till oil starts separating. This will take around 10 minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste to the sauteed onions and mix well. Cook till the raw smell of ginger garlic paste goes away. This will take around 7-8 minutes.
- Add murgh (chicken) and stir well for a few of minutes. Add the powdered masalas including coriander and turmeric powder. This will take around 1o minutes on medium flame.
- Add dahi/ yogurt/ curds & salt. Mix it well with the chicken. Put the flame on low and cover with a lid. Cook for 30-35 minutes
- Remove from fire. Rest it for about 10 minutes, correct the salt if required.
- Serve with tandoori roti, naan or basmati rice.
Visual Process for making Matka Murgh Dahiwala, Claypot Chicken in Curd Gravy
इन तस्वीरों को देख कर आप मटका मुर्ग़ दहीवाला घर बैठे आसानी से बना सकते हें|
Some benefits that make matka cooking personal favorite of mine are:
- Clay pot is porous. This allows heat and moisture to circulate through the pot which imparts a rich flavour & aroma. It also preserves nutrition in the food cooked.
- Food cooks slowly and evenly and doesn’t necessitate the addition of extra oil for cooking.
- Clay that is used to make pots is usually harnessed from earth. It is rich in calcium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, sulphur and myriad other compounds that our body benefits from. Clay pots are also alkaline in nature. They neutralize the acidity in food & perfectly balance out the PH level of whatever you cook. This makes cooked food healthier.