Lemon Rice : Do the dance
Lemon Rice Recipe; Make lemon rice with leftover rice
There are always left overs from meals. If you are just a bit creative you can recycle the leftovers into a tasteful dish. So what do we do with leftover rice from a previous day’s meal? Well! lots can be done. However, we will see how to transform it into “Lemon Rice” in this recipe. This recipe tastes absolutely fresh and delicious. Lemon rice was once staple to South India. Now it is used as a quick snack or a snappy tiffin lunch all over. It is incredibly simple to make and kids love it too.
To make lemon rice, you can use any kind of cooked or steamed rice. You can also make lemon rice with freshly made rice. Just ensure that the grains are apart. You can also add a few roasted peanuts to it (which I didn’t). You can snack on it or have it as lunch or even for breakfast. It is a splendid recipe loved by all. You can have it with a sabzi. I served lemon rice with lauki aloo ki sabzi. You can even serve it simply with some raita, papad & a green salad.
Lemon Rice Recipe
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes/ Add 15 minutes if cooking rice fresh
- Cooking Gizmos: Wok or a Kadhai
- Serves: 3
|what goes in?||what kinds?||how much?|
|Leftover Rice||You can make it fresh too||1/2 Cup (Cooked)|
|Vegetable Oil||I used Canola Oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Mustard Seeds||1/2 Tablespoon|
|Dried Red Chillies||2 No.|
|Green Chillies||Slit||2 No.|
|Asafoetida (Heeng)||1/4 Tablespoon|
|Chana Dal||1 Tablespoon|
|Green Chillies||Slit||3 No.|
|Turmeric Powder||1/4 Tablespoon|
|Curry Leaves||8 – 10|
|Lemon Juice||3 Lemons|
|Table Salt||To Taste|
Process to make Lemon Rice Recipe?
- Break up the leftover rice so that the grains don’t clump.
- Add canola oil to the kadhai and heat.
- Add the mustard seeds and chana dal.
- Crackle the mustard and saute the chana dal.
- Add the red chilies, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Saute for 12-15 seconds till you can smell the aromas.
- Add the asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Saute for 2-3 seconds on low heat so that the spices don’t burn.
- Add the leftover rice and mix well gently.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Turn off the fire.
- Remove and keep covered for 4-5 minutes for flavours to blend.
- Serve with papad, chutney, raita or just eat it as it is.